2.7.12

Devious plans, dances and dyslexic minds

So this is how things are looking inside some of my sketchbooks.


This drawing is pretty much where it all began. Its taken from a photograph of a fabled Mudhead Dance. As soon as I saw it, something about it grabbed me. Somehow, someway, this needs to be made. I love the way they build their town with performance in mind with ladders coming out the top of all of the houses and kivas. 

  

So my plan is to stage this rather bonkers performance/shoot at V22 in one of the exhibitions halls like the one I used to shoo the Booger Dance in last year. With that in mind I have began mapping out how the space could be used with three or four stages, a central crew and roaming performative and audience elements. The last drawing is pretty much the direction I am now heading in. My ambition is for either the stages or the performers to have a visual relationship to the place in which they are appropriated from which may end up being a borough I live in or near or somewhere I travel through on a regular basis.




This image of a mount is something I keep on returning to again and again. I think it something to do with a the ritual of making and worshipping a mount, mound, tower that draws me to it as a stage for performance. This images is one of many that I scribbled down on the pages of my sketchbook. Somewhat reminiscent of when Richard Dreyfus in Close Encounters of the Third Kind repeatedly sculpts a tabletop mountain out of mash potato. I think it something I will keep returning too.






Towards the end of 2011 I was approached about a possible group show at 176 gallery. I got very carried away with myself and produced a series of increasingly mad as a hatter plans for performances which took over the entire gallery space. Needless to say its yet to happen, lol. A little nuts maybe, but something in there stuck and the seed I planted back then is now beginning germinate in new a new pasture.
 

Plans for zig-zag hand tramp ghost dance.


Highly technical spec plans for stage design. Note, very important - 'smoke machine'.



A hobo shaman quintet band playing in the splash pool of an underground waterfall cave grotto, naturally, flanked synchronised cheerleader tramps.


Something approaching refined. Next step, make maquettes and scale model of this and others.











No comments: